"Decision on ceasefire has been approved to establish peace in the Donbas," President of Ukraine Petro Poroshenko told journalists in Newport.
"I have made this decision to establish stable peace in Donetsk and Luhansk regions," the Head of State noted.
He emphasized that the truce had been achieved on the basis of the peace plan – respect for the sovereignty and integrity of Ukraine.
The President reminded that under the protocol signed following the meeting of Trilateral contact group in Minsk, ceasefire was declared starting from 18:00 EEST, September 5.
"It is important that the political dialogue will be continued in the course of the ceasefire," the Head of State emphasized.
According to him, the agreement in Minsk specifies the Road map on the settlement of the situation in the Donbas in the nearest time.
The protocol consists of 12 items, Petro Poroshenko informed.
"One of the main demands is liberation of hostages. We are planning to conduct the exchange starting from tomorrow," the President said.
"Besides, Kyiv is ready to ensure significant steps on decentralization of power, special status of separate districts of Donetsk and Luhansk regions in the context of their economic freedom, guarantee of free use of languages and cultural traditions," he noted.
"All these items are in the Peace plan," the Head of State stressed.
Petro Poroshenko called it symbolic that such an agreement had been achieved in the course of the NATO Summit at which important decisions for Ukraine had been made.
According to the President, the document included arrangements achieved in the course of the last phone conversation with Vladimir Putin. "It is important given the fact that the truce will last long. Now, it is our common responsibility," the Head of State said.
He once again emphasized that the Ukrainian party would do everything possible to preserve peace and stability in the Donbas.